As industry professionals and a fiduciary to our clients and prospective clients, our focus is always maximizing your investment income and value. With that in mind, MV Properties & Folio Real Estate Group are staying on top of all the latest legislation and regulations that could affect your rental properties.
The City of San Diego is debating new renter protection laws, which passed a preliminary vote 8-1 and will have a final vote on May 16th. We want to ensure you are aware of these changes and how they may impact your investment. Note, these are only for properties within the City of San Diego boundary.
• Protections start Day 1 of lease, instead of after 12 months (current State law).
• Relocation Assistance: Landlords must pay two months relocation assistance to Tenants who are evicted for reasons other than failure to pay rent; three months for seniors and disabled.
• Mandatory Lease Renewals: Landlords must offer a lease renewal to Tenants who have lived in a unit for at least one year, unless the Tenant has violated the lease, or the Landlord has Just-Cause for not renewing.
• Permits for remodels: Landlords must obtain permits for remodels that would require the displacement of Tenants. Displaced Tenants have the right of first refusal to return once the remodel is complete.
• Disclosure Requirements: Landlords are required to disclose certain information to tenants, such as: Tenant's rights under the new law, amount of rent increases, and reason for any lease non-renewals. This statement must be provided to Tenants before or at the time of move-in.
• Rent Increases: Rent increases are limited to once per year, with a cap of 5%, plus inflation, and a maximum of 10%. This is consistent with State rent control. Expect future proposals to limit increases even more.
We understand these changes can be confusing and potentially concerning, but as your local leader in Property Management and Listings Services, we are committed to keeping you updated and in full compliance. If you have any questions or concerns about the new San Diego renter protection laws, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to support you and your investment. Stay tuned for updates.
Stay up to date on the latest real estate trends.
Are you missing the opportunity to create an expanding real estate portfolio for your legacy and estate planning?
Holding Treasury bonds and federally backed money market accounts is considered risk-free because the US government backs them. The problem, however, is that inflation…
Richard and Janet were patient and stuck to their criteria.
In San Diego County, the housing market is always experiencing high demand. Homes are still in the realm of affordable, at least for California, which leads to more ma…
Why Housing Prices Aren't Going Down: Exploring the Current Real Estate
Off-market Townhome Secured for 6% Under Comparable Value
BLCI Board Chair and Folio Principal Keegan McNamara Featured Speaker
We understand these changes can be confusing and potentially concerning, but as your local leader in Property Management and Listings Services, we are committed to kee…
The North County Product Council tours and hears case study.
You’ve got questions and we can’t wait to answer them.